Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

At 06:19 PM 11/24/96 +0100, you wrote:
>> I don't think that anyone's aware that all modems communicate at 9600 baud,
>> that is the fastest a serial port can go the only difference between a 14,400
>> and a 28,800 is the algorythem for the data compression.  If there was a way
>> to emulate that in a new graph link then you could hook up with the internet
>> at 28.8K.  Just thought I'd let everyone know.
>
>I don't consider myself an expert on this subject, but if what you're
>saying is true, then obviously the difference between a 14.4k and
>28.8k modem is entirely hardware-based compression.  If it wasn't,
>then software could emulate a 28.8k modem on a 14.4k one, which most
>probably would have been done by now if it was possible.
>
>Thus, to create a faster interface between a calculator and the
>outside world, you would need major hardware modification.  If it's
>not possible to make 28.8k out of 14.4k on a 200MHz computer using only
>software, there's no chance it'll be possible using a 10MHz 68000.
>
>Later,

It's not that it is not possible to emulate these algorithims with software
(how do you think the microchip in the modem was programed?) its that if you
can buy a cheap modem that can do it for you why waste proccesor power.
however emulation probably would take more processing power than the ti-92
has... but you could probably do it on a 386. probably even a 286..(a fast
one though)
David Lee
davidlee@itis.com