Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

that1guy@juno.com wrote:

> You are wrong! Old computers like 8088's can run at a max or 9600 baud-
> that much is true- however, most any computer manufactured in the last 2
> years has a 16550 UART chip on board. This allows for DIRECT 115,000 bps
> transfer rates computer<->computer. However, phone lines were originally
> designed to handle 2400 baud. That is why you will most likely never see
> an anolog modem go faster than 33.6. To tell you the truth- most parts
	^--- I found 2 things wrong with that above statement
a. current modems aren't anolog. they are digital and anolog. the way a
modem works is it first modulates the digital signal into analog and
then it transfers it across the phone line and the recieving modem(s)
demodulate the anolog signal back into a digital signal.

b. In case you haven't been down the modem isle in your local computer
store in awhile, US Robotics is already advertising their x2 technology
for modems which will transfer data at 56kbaud. the way that works is
that the modem NEVER modulates or demodulates the signal and just
transfers a digital signal over the phone line which in turn increases
the modem speed greatly. also over 30 isp's, aol, and compuserve have
announced that they will be upgrading to the x2 technology at the
begining of 1997.

> of the U.S. you will have only a connection of 26,400bps because that is
> all the quality of the local lines. (Even on 33.6's!) So, to tell
> everyone that every serial device runs at "9600" without "algorithms" is
> a lie.

also in case you are wondering where i got all of this information from
i got it from beta testing the usr x2 chipset modems, personal
experience, the USR rep that came and talked to the employees at the
Naperville, IL CompUSA(where i work)

Oh yes and Gary (sktg@airmail.net), why don't you try learning more
about the subject you want to talk on before you talk on it. btw, i have
been using the x2 chipset for the past 6 months because i am a beta
tester for usr.

PCoMP
Visit Maximus Productions home page at: http://www.ntsource.com/~pcomp