Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Josh Hays wrote:

> > I don't think that anyone's aware that all modems communicate at 9600 baud,
> > that is the fastest a serial port can go the only difference between a 14,400
> > and a 28,800 is the algorythem for the data compression.  If there was a way
> > to emulate that in a new graph link then you could hook up with the internet
> > at 28.8K.  Just thought I'd let everyone know.

BUG!!! A serial port can go at lot faster than 9600, on the amiga I have
tried upto 100000bps over a 25m cable and it worked fine. The serial port
on the amiga supporst transfer rates of upto 1megabaud. In theory that is,
wether it works in practice is yet to bee seen. As to the buisness of
modems. Some modems compress and send faster than others.....