Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: A 9600 bps Note!

You are wrong! Old computers like 8088's can run at a max or 9600 baud-
that much is true- however, most any computer manufactured in the last 2
years has a 16550 UART chip on board. This allows for DIRECT 115,000 bps
transfer rates computer<->computer. However, phone lines were originally
designed to handle 2400 baud. That is why you will most likely never see
an anolog modem go faster than 33.6. To tell you the truth- most parts
of the U.S. you will have only a connection of 26,400bps because that is
all the quality of the local lines. (Even on 33.6's!) So, to tell
everyone that every serial device runs at "9600" without "algorithms" is
a lie.

that1guy@juno.com