Re: LF: Upgrading the CPU

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: Upgrading the CPU

At 06:06 PM 11/18/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I have surfed the moterolla site and have discovered the god of chips:  The
>68060.  It can run at 66 mHz, execute 3 instructions per clock cycle, and
>perform over 50 MIPS (I think as high as 100 MIPS).  This is incredible
>compared to the 68000's 10 MIPS.  What are the chances of chip swapping.
>Could this prove fatal?  How about using the 33mHz version of the 68000,
>would this be ok?  I also discovered that the chip is available in forms
>coming with as much as 256k ram and attached eprom.  Is there any way to
>make use of this?  The chips are capable of addressing up to at least 4 gig
>of ram, is it possible to upgrade the ram?  Any one know?  Well thanks.

well this could be possible if you were the god of soldering.. :) and if you
knew allot about electronics enginering... (hey everything is possible) but
also even if it was possible to upgrade the processor you have to look at 2
other factors.. one is the other hardware speed.. (for instance it isnt
going to do you much good to find a crappy xt computer and put a ppro 200mhz
chip into {yes i know thats incompatable anyway but this is for example})
and the second thing is if your software will run it... for instance the
intel 386 can access a 4 gig physical memory and a 64 TERABYTE virtual
memory.. I have never seen a dos (or windows for that matter) that takes
advantage of this (and this is just on a gimpy 386.. imagine a pentium)

anyway though if anyone ever figures out how to do it let me know :)
David Lee
davidlee@itis.com