Re: LF: Upgrading this BAD BOY!!!!!!!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: Upgrading this BAD BOY!!!!!!!!!

At 07:32 PM 11/18/96 -0600, you wrote:
>As far as the physical possibility goes, I just took apart my ti92 to check
>out it's guts.  The cpu COULD be safely removed in about an hour's work and
>replaced.  It would take a tiny solder tip and a desoldering iron.  (I might
>then mount a socket on the board for future upgrades)  There is a LOT of
>room inside the thing.  You could probably build an INTERNAL sound card if
>you had the desire.   If I did jsut want to replace the chip, I could also
>safely solder a new chip to it.  There also exists a 33 mHz version of the
>68000 with no extra features.  It would probably be safer, but the 66mHz is
>rated at 5-10 times faster than the stock chip.  That would
>RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you imagine the possibilities?  It would be at least
>286 speed.  I believe that the 68000 is around 8086 speed, or close to the
>Zilog z380.  Any ideas about how to burn a custom eprom to create new ROS's
>(Ram Operating Systems).  Hey, here is an idea:  Tape bakup drive/1.44
>floppy drive.  Or how about external D-ram acting as a ramdrive?  at  $7 per
>meg, this could prove a very attractive way to store large files.  The 68k
>series can address at least 4 gig of ram, so how could we exploit this?  Any
>ideas?

I would recommend to everyone on this list to check out the web page at
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~ltduck/ti92/ti92.html
because that has had a huge amount of info. on the internals of the '92 as
far back as Jan. of this year.  I'm amazed that noone bothers to look around
on the web, 99% of the questions asked on this list can be answered with a
few minutes of searching.

On another note: didn't anyone think to just try different keys in Ftris?
Takes about 20 sec to figure out that C and STO> are the ones you want.