Re: LF: WHAT THE?!?!?!?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: WHAT THE?!?!?!?

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Jake Robb wrote:

> Jimmy Mårdell wrote:
> > You must put at least one space before reloc_open, reloc_close and END.
> > Then it will work (all errors will be fixed).
>
> Thanks.
>

> > > PS.  Does anyone know why PCs use Line feeds (ASCII 10) and Macs use
> > > carriage returns (ASCII 13)?  it's really annoying when transferring
> > > text...pc-to-mac gives unknown characters, mac-to-pc gives everything on
> > > 1 line.  I use a Mac, but have to transfer to PC for compiling, so,
> > > well, ya know...
> >
> > PC has ascii 10+ascii 13 in a textfile when there is a line feed.
>
> Right.  The questions was, Why?

Probably because of some hold over from CP/M.  My guess is that it had to
do something with printers (most IBM printers need both an LF and CR to
print correctly)   Never heard of CP/M?  That's not too unlikely...

(MS-DOS and it's derivatives are the only stupid operating systems that do
this it would seem...)