Re: LF: What is this s**t about making money off calculator games !!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: What is this s**t about making money off calculator games !!

>The only message I recall that talked about charging for games was one
>that suggested that those of us who kept trying to turn the calc into
>more than it is/ could be design our own system, and charge for games.

I wrote the original message about charging for games; however, if you read
the message, I was not implying that people should be charging money for
Fargo programs...

I was talking about the fact that, even though it's cool that we can now
use the TI-92 to connect to the internet (among other things), and that the
processor runs at light speed, that you're still using a calculator.

I suggested that someone(s) create an entirly new hand-held game system
from scratch.
Here is my original message...
--------
"Not to go totally off list topic, but why don't the die-hard 'wireheads'
and hackers (in the proper sense of the word) among us create a totally new
hand-held game system from scratch, which would be supported by dedicated
programmers that write programs for the fun of it? Keep the price of the
system under $75, and the software, around $10-$15, would be distributed
over the Internet on a cripple-ware basis (download for free, but program
deletes itself after 15 days if not registered). Anyone?

The only problem with this would be that you would have to invent a way to
keep people from distributing registered copies of the programs... How
about having the owner of the system's name or SSI kept somewhere in the
ROM/RAM, and when the programs are registered, they are keyed to work only
on that particular unit?"
--------

>The original writer odviously didn't put too much thought into his
>message before he wrote it.  He was probably one of those people
>complaining when fargo didn't come out right away, Wanting everything
>right away, bug free, and of course no desire of paying for it.

I do hope you are referring to NTCHRIST, because I have been and continue
to be in full support of the developers of Fargo (some of you may remember
a lengthy message that I posted 2/3 months ago in defense of said people).

>btw, the original message mentioned copyrighting games.  Technically,
>anything produced is copyrighted, so all of the games out there ARE
>already copyrighted.  But to make sure, its best to say copyright/rights
>reserved.  (of coures its even better to register it, but...)

True; this is known as the 'poor man's copyright'. However, the game is not
copyrighted unless the programmer inserts a line at the top of the code,
that says something to the effect of 'Copyright 19xx, All rights reserved'.

Another easy way to copyright something for free (or almost for free) is to
send it to yourself in the mail.... the postmark is the copyright.

Nathaniel Gibson
ngibson@postoffice.ptd.net