Re: LF: C programming for the TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: C programming for the TI-92

>Once C is compiled it is machine code. Once ASM is compiled it is machine
>code as well. I disagree with you about the speed part. Why would it be
>slower? C is a compiled languege, like ASM, only its higer-level. Yes, a
>compiled C program is probably much larger than an asm one due to many libs
>& stuff, but I say its well worth it. The development of the programs
>themselves would speed up, and that's better than just a few speedy
>programs.

[Note: For the record, I own TI calculators as more of a hobby than for
anything else. I enjoy game programming, so that is where my interests lie
as far as any future use of Fargo. Based on the recent news of a TI memory
upgrade to 256k, and the possibilites that may open for Fargo programming
in the future, I must personally side with the people who would rather see
speed win out over ease of use. Hence, the following view in my
response...]

Yes, the development of programs would speed up, however...

When a compiler compiles code from C to Assembly, it does so in a
roundabout (redundant for lack of a better word) way. The code that is
produced is not as concise (therefore as fast) as code that would be
written in Assembly directly by the programmer. This is why, often times in
game programming, the graphics routines are written in Assembly (to some
extent) no matter what format is being programmed on (and is especially
used in 3D programming).

{TANGENT!!!}
For lack of a better paradigm, it comes down to the Nintendo 64 vs. the
other guys. Nintendo wants to make great quality games (programs), at the
cost of only having 6 (currently) games (programs) on the shelf, while Sega
and Sony will continue to produce games (programs) at a much higher rate,
not due to advacement of routines for those systems, but (flames to my
e-mail only, please) to the lesser quality, albeit quantity, of those games
(programs).

{BACK TO THE POINT!}
It's a tradeoff between quantity (ease of use), and quality. The people
that will decide the fate of Fargo are the ones at it's leading edge, it's
developers, and the brave few who have decided to program in this new
format. If these people embrace the idea of a C compiler to code programs
for Fargo, then that is the way that things will turn. Once the decision is
made, however, there is no turning back, because I can't think of anyone
who will want to have to learn assembly, when most people already know C.

Choose wisely.

Nathaniel Gibson
ngibson@postoffice.ptd.net