Re: LF: LATEST RAM INFO !!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: LATEST RAM INFO !!!

> Now, the whole RAM upgrade thing leads to another question.  I don't think
> TI will sell these upgrades as "user-installed".  Think about it, if my
> theory is correct and different ROM versions require different ways to
> upgrade the memory, you will have to know the ROM version number in order
> to buy the appropriate memory upgrade.  Granted we all know how to do this,
> but TI doesn't want people to know this or do it for that matter.  It is
> not supported by TI, so my guess is that you will have to buy the memory
> upgrade for a flat rate, send in your TI-92 and TI will take care of the
> rest.  Upgrading the ROM if needed, soldering chips, etc.

I opened up my TI-92 today and after looking at the socket for the
RAM upgrade, I think I'd rather pay someone else to do it!  The
socket itself is not very large and the pads for the chip leads are
very small.

I also was wondering if it would be possible to add more RAM via the
ROM module socket.  This sounds possible to me if the socket has pins
that are attached to all of the unneeded address pins instead of just
the ones needed by the ROM chip.  I don't care that more RAM can't
fit in the calc.  Imagine having a 1 meg SIMM in a module outside the
calc!!!  Of course this would not be able to be used by the regular
operating system of the TI-92, but it sure would make for a very
quick storage module for Fargo games.

-Ed