Re: LF: LCD Display

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: LCD Display

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Tim Nordberg wrote:

> > > Does anyone else's LCD display on their TI-92 look kind of funny when
> > > pixels in the top row are written to?  I was working on Bombardment
> > > and I noticed that if pixels were drawn to the top row, the entire
> > > column of pixels becomes darker.  Has anyone else noticed this?
> >
> > I have also noticed this on my TI-92, manufactured 6/96. Perhaps
> > programmers should refrain from writing to the top line of the screen?

If I remember correctly it deals with how the TI-92 provides power to the
LCD, when you use columns specifically and not the ones around them,
there's a power drain in that column, causing light and dark shades to
become apparent.. this happens when you leave columns unused, like some
monospace fonts do, or also when you contrast is up a little higher than
need be or else your batteries are wearing down a little, and your
contrast hasn't been adjusted to compensate..  e.g: if you run the
Sierpinski algorithm (sierpin.92p, comes with fargo b12) you'll notice a
distinctly darker line in the middle of the screen as opposed to anywhere
else, reason being a) the pixels in that column that are used are up at
the top (to begin with) b) that column has the smallest average of
used pixels to unused pixels for the vertical distance from the
highest pixel in that column to the bottom of the screen.. I hope I didn't
make that too confusing, I have that habit sometimes..

	far as I know, that problem will occur whenever you use pixels at
the top of the screen and don't follow up on the load, or if you just
don't use those columns at all.. go to your Fargo shell and kick the
contrast up a little, you should be able to see darker lines between the
characters, cause everything listed there is in a monospace font, leaving
constant gaps between the letters.

JD