[A89] Re: sorry!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: sorry!

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 08:25 pm, you wrote:
> ahh... I guess lists.ticalc.org hates blank subjects enough to kill my
> email. :(
>
> What is the purpose of the relocation pointers placed at the end of an Exec
> command string?  It's a "null-terminated list of offsets" (?), each one
> word long. Thus, it ends with a "0000".  But why have this?  What does it
> DO?
My guess (total guess, keep in mind) is that these are offsets into the code.
The doublewords at these offsets have the address of the beginning of the
code added to them. This allows the code to use absolute memory references
despite not knowing where it will be placed in memory.
Since the calc knows the end of the list, however, I have no clue why it
should be null-terminated.
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
	- Douglas Adams

Follow-Ups: References: