[A89] Re: 68K Guide

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: 68K Guide

On 12 Jun 2003 at 2:37, Nick Peaden wrote:

> Hmm... I wonder if the assembly code is the same across the late processor
> classes?

80x86 series is backwards compatible just like 680x0, newer processors have
new commands but all the rest are still there.  There are some exceptions
like 68010 and later made 'MOVE SR,' supervisor instruction and 6040 and
68060 dropped transcedental functions from floating point core.  Intel
made some changes too, but I'd guess that latest processors run 99% of
8086 code.  IIRC 8086 ran 8080 code, so even the newest processors are
hindered because od 30-year old design.

Jorma

Follow-Ups: References: