[A89] Re: Newbie alert!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: Newbie alert!

Not being an ASM or C programmer, I can't help you with number 1, however,
through several years of watching the 68k community (at least ticalc, and for
a small part ti-fr while it was around), I believe I can help with number 2
The original reason for programming for kernels is gone, although they can
still (under certain circumstances) benefit both the programmer (by relying
on the kernel for certain functions to ease the programming process) and the
end user (by (possibly) requiring less space when using many programs that
use the same functions in the libraries) nostub seems to be better as far as
understanding the calculator and possible getting slightly better performance
from the calculator (if your self-coded/copied algorithms are better than
those provided in the kernels or libraries) and for the user by not having to
hunt for said libraries/kernels... (a lesser version of dll-hell, there are
only a few places people can go to look for the libraries in the first place,
although then you may end up with conflicting versions of them.... ahh
well... it's plain dll-hell...) (hm... a small thing I happen to know about
the AMS versions...) Kernel programs can sometimes be fixed for different AMS
versions by simply updating the kernel and/or libraries(I have no figures nor
knowledge of when this has happened, AFAIK it's theoretical), Nostub programs
on the other hand will require either a launcher to be replaced, or every
program will need to be recompiled...If you really want to use a Kernel use
PreOs 0.67, it is currently the most up to date kernel (compatible with
"doorsos" programs as well...) Somone who has actually used both types of
programming could respond better to this ...Greg Dietsche, maybe?  (there is
also a discussion on this somewhere in the tict forums... on the off-topic
discussions section IIRC..

Conclusion : If you use modern kernel/libraries, no-one with half a brain will
have problems running them. If you use nostub, people with under a quarter of
a brain...(what do you mean var-link? huh? parenthasewhatsits?)