[A89] Re: [OT] Anyone have any good books on C to reccomend?

[Prev][Index][Thread]

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:40:04 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 8/30/2002 10:47:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
>goodsell@bridgernet.com writes:
>
>> First, the question was for C books, not C++. Second, Schildt's books
>>  are awful. If you think you learned something from one, you might =
want
>>  to verify it using a real book (for C++ Stroustrup's "The C++
>>  Programming Language" is your best bet). Go to Google groups and
>>  search comp.lang.c for people's opinions on Schildt's books.
>
>I am sorry, I wasn't paying attention. However, the first half of the =
book is=20
>on C, and there is a C:TCR as well.=20
>
>Yes, I know the Jargon Files have a definition "Bullschildt" discribing =
how=20
>bad the book was, but the reviews I just read from the internet were all=
 for=20
>the older editions.

I didn't know about the Bullschildt term (funny), but I doubt that
having a newer edition is very helpful. One of the main complaints
about Schildt is that he refuses to acknowledge or correct his
mistakes (and that he makes a lot of them).

This article about "C: The Complete Reference" was written by a member
of the C Standard committee::

"C: The Complete Nonsense":
http://herd.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

Another member of the C Standard committee wrote this (about a
different Schildt book):

http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

The point is that Schildt is not a reliable source. This isn't a fault
in one or two of his books, but the man himself.

-Kevin