Re: (OT) Re: A89: What's Wrong?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (OT) Re: A89: What's Wrong?

At one time, I think it was considered a highly viscous liquid, but it is now considered an amorphous solid (the atoms are not arranged in a set structure, unlike a regular solid).  Even when it was considered a liquid, it was calculated it would take trillions of years for there to be any measurable flow.

The real reason that the glass is thicker at the bottom is not because of flow, but the methods of glass making weren't as exacting as they are now, and one end could come out thicker than the other. Using common sense, the builders put the thicker end on the bottom =)

Mike

I always thought glass was just a viscous liquid, which would explain (so
I've heard) that the stained glass windows of some medieval churches seem to
"run"...  I'm kind of curious; can anyone explain if glass is solid why it
could be mistaken for a liquid, or vice versa?

JayEll

In a message dated 1/18/01 4:52:37 PM Mountain Standard Time,