Re: A89: What's Wrong?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: What's Wrong?

Hi!

| if you could creat a gravitation field around a space craft, the field
could
| travel faster than light, while you (in the filed) are traveling slower
|
| quite interesting

Why would the field be travelling faster than light?  That would mean that
electromagnetic signals sent from any moving object (such as earth, for
example) would be travelling faster than light for any outside viewer.  This
is not true.

The 'mistake' here is that you see time and distance as static, while it
isn't.  If two events happen at different locations, you just CAN'T say that
they happened at the same time, because 'the same time' doesn't exist (from
what I heard; and after all, it's a theory).  I assume it's the same for
locations.

So, back to your problem: Take another planet than earth, for example, that
is travelling away from us at this moment (as WE see the current moment,
otherwise the moment isn't defined properly).  Now we send a light beam in
the opposite direction.  What you are saying is that it travels faster than
light for a viewer on the other planet.  What HAS to happen is that it still
travels at the speed of light, because it can't travel any faster.  I'll
have to ask my physics teacher, and post the answer tomorrow if I remember
to ask him.  But what I think is that time runs differently for both
planets; therefore the beam is still travelling at the speed of light EVEN
for the viewer on the other planet.

So, why should time run differently, if they are, in relation to the sun,
travelling at almost the same speed?  This is relative as well: You can only
see time in relation to another viewer.  If you switched planets, it would
be just the same.  The thing is that, to travel between the two planets, you
have to move through space, AND you will be faster on the other planet _in
relation to your home planet_.

I assume no warranty whatsoever for the information given. :-)  Bye,

Sebastian Reichelt