[A89] Re: A Night's Pondering...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: A Night's Pondering...

> > > Just out of curiousity, would it be possible to create a gameboy
> > > emulator (for the old gameboy [b&w]) on the 89?
> >
> > No.
>
> Why not?

Mainly because it isn't fast enough (at least for real-time emulation). I think
it was Scott who wrote a bit about this on A89 some time ago - basically, even
though the TI-89/92 68k @10-12MHz is faster than the GB:s (modified) z80, there
aren't enough cycles for each GB z80 instruction. Maybe dynamic recompilation
could help a little, but it would still not be real-time.

I believe the GB also has special hardware to help it with some tasks. Plus
there might be a space problem, although I'm not sure how big GB games are in
general.

--
 / Niklas Brunlid
Check out Prosit for the TI-89 / TI-92+ at http://prosit.ticalc.org

The druid stiffened. "*Nice?*" he said. "A triumph of the silicon chunk, a
miracle of modern masonic technology -- *nice*?" "Oh, yes," said Twoflower,
to whom sarcasm was merely a seven letter word beginning with S.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)

Follow-Ups: References: