A89: Re: Jumping off point for learning C

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Jumping off point for learning C

You should study the C language itself, not just TI-GCC. You'll find many
more references for C in general. I recommend getting a book rather than
trying to use online tutorials. They are rarely worth the effort to locate
them. I can recommend one book - The C Programming Language by Brian
Kerninghan and Dennis Ritchie, 2nd Edition. This book is *the* reference for
the C language. Prior to the ANSI standard, the 1st edition served as the
formal language definition. K & R are the inventors of the language, after
all.

The one problem with this book is that it is not real big on example. It is
very concise and to the point. I happened to like that, but some people
don't, and it's definitely a problem when you don't understand a particular
point. I recommend picking up something a little heftier as well, with lots
of examples. Wish I could remember the name of the other book I learned C
from...

-Kevin