Re: Don't bash Microsoft (was A89: Sim City 68k)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Don't bash Microsoft (was A89: Sim City 68k)

> It is the end-user who breaks the law by using
> Napster to infringe on a copyright, not Napster.
> It's not the crowbar manufacturer's fault if it's used
> to break a door.  And Napster's intentions are not
> admissible (not to mention not provable).  As long
> as they weren't encouraging others to commit a
> crime, they can snicker behind their desks all they
> want.  If you go out jaywalking, even if you intend to
> break the law, it's not illegal if you accidentally
> choose to jaywalk on an intersection where
> jaywalking is permitted.  Only a partially applicable
> analogy, Napster didn't break the letter of any law,
> so, regardless of their intentions, they are not guilty
> of breaking any law.

But, the funny thing is, neither the end-user or Napster is breaking the
law.  It's perfectly legal to sharing and distrobutions of songs in any
form-or-fashion.  The copyright on music specifically allows that.  There
was another thing passed in '92 saying that this is legal.  I can't recall
the name of it, unfortunately.  There has been controversy over all new
technology concerning muisc and movies.  That list includes, the tape
recorder (of course), VCR, and (believe it or not) the player piano.  I
don't see why Metallica don't crack down on CD burners or tape recorders.
But, some people are a little slow...

Glenn Murphy

Plus, is the millions upon millions that Metallica have not ENOUGH?  I could
be quite contented with a million or two...

Follow-Ups: References: