Re: A89: Re: Linux Clone Dev

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Linux Clone Dev

Hi,

  Yes, I would really like to see a command-line shell
for ti89 and ti92+. The ti89/ (especially the ti92+)
is actually a great little platform for running small
programs (like the old pdp-11 unix).

It can read/write small files, do graphics, games, etc, such
as a useful, but simple spreadsheet (like vintage 123).
The old OS-9 operating system was a unix-like system with
c compiler, files, etc, and it all ran on 8/16 bit Motorola 6809
hardware with 32k of ram, and antique floppy disks. There
is no technical reason why some software development
can't be done on the ti89/92+ (especially the ti92+ which has
a very usable qwerty keyboard).

  How about a simple vi for the ti92? (I've been tempted to code).
A simple stripped-down mini-bash would be great! It doesn't
have to be multi-user to be useful.

  It would be great if the doors team and the tigcc and tigcclib
folks could agree on a simple command-line shell (they sort-of
already have, but the ti command-line is too klunky, and not
scriptable, etc.) Deciding on a standard command-line shell
would enable a lot of software utilities. The shell could be
a small program in the same style as the very simple old unix
shells. The point is that my lilc program is just one of many
utilities which would be greatly enabled by a standard
scriptable command-line shell, and a common "loader" and
executable format. Doors almost does this, except for the
shell part. The routine should return to the shell, not tios.
The shell should also clean up file descriptors, mallocs, etc.

It would go a long way towards making the ti89/92+ a great
"algorithm/utility development" tool, sort of an old pdp-11
style unix. Unix started simple like this, as did some embedded
operating systems like ucos, psos, etc. I'm sort of nostalgic
for the "simple old days", when algorithm/tool development and
getting the job done was more important than interfacing with
bloated libraries, most of which have nothing to do the the
problem/requirement being solved.

   -Jim Steuert