A89: Re: Just a question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Just a question

Hi!

| A bunch of various people and myself are attempting to replace the crappy
| TI-OS on the 89 with a faster, smaller, and more UNIX-like operating
system.
| Problem is, we have no idea how to write to the protected memory where the
| TI-OS lives. Although I'm pretty sure that there isn't a soul outside of
TI
| who knows how to do this, I figured that if there is anyone who knows how
| do it, he probably subscribes to this list.

OK, I don't know much about it, either.  But here's my $0.02:

If you want to create it in C, write an operating system that runs as a
nostub program first, and then convert it later.  To do this, you would have
to create a well-organized set of header and object files.  The functions in
it would have to do everything the operating system has to do, without using
any ROM calls.  For example, you have to modify the screen buffer by hand,
create your own fonts, file system (with subfolders, please!), program
execution, and so on.  Later, if it ever becomes possible to write your own
flash OS, you can easily convert your program.

If you want to add calculator capabilities:  I created a preliminary version
of an expression operating system once, enough for graphing a function.
It's in C++, using classes, but it should be possible to port it.

| P.S. If anyone knows of a good C tutorial for the 89, please send me the
URL
| to it. Thank you.

The TI-GCC library documentation is very good; that's where I learned my
(limited) C skills from.  But I know this is not what you wanted to know.

Bye,

Sebastian Reichelt