Re: A89: Filling a Byte in C

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Filling a Byte in C

Hi,

| > Well, it becomes 0 if you're masking the value to 8 bits...
| >

| Since the function GetByteMask() return a byte, that is what will
happen...

Great!  That's exactly what I need.  Then I can think of the following way:

Take the number 2^(End-Start+1) (by shifting)
Subtract 1 to fill the bits from 0 to End-Start with ones
Shift the whole thing Start bits

Or, I could take 2^(End+1), subtract one, and then subtract 2^Start-1.  This
seems to be exactly what mheckenbach (whoever hides behind that name) wrote,
because the -1s would subtract themselves out.  I'll see if it works.

Thanks everybody and have a nice day,

Sebastian