Re: A89: AIME

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: AIME

At 17.22 -0600 03.29.2000, RoniBarrett@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/29/00 9:29:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>TGaArdvark@aol.com writes:
>
><< I've never heard of those tests in my life before.  What state(s)
> offer them?  What eligibility requirements are there?  Are these
> tests extremely new? >>
>The name are new.

They are definitely not new (back in '83 it seems it seems the AIME
started, AHSME earlier).  First there is the AHSME (actually this year they
started segregating grade levels with AMC-10 and AMC-12.  This year if you
scored above a 92 on the AMC-12, you became eligible to take the AIME, that
is if your school would offer it.  In my school of 1200, only four took it
this year.  If you do well combined on both, you may take the USAMO, 6
hours, 6 questions, essay.  This is quite rare.

As for duplicating questions, they really do not want you to.  You must
order them for like a buck a copy.  Go to www.unl.edu/amc for info.  I had
a 108 on the AMC-12 and it looks like 9 / 15 on the AIME, so I have a
chance of making the USAMO this year.  It _was_ very easy this year.

-zavyman

======
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside