A89: Game Programming -- Pure Assembly vs. TI-GCC?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Game Programming -- Pure Assembly vs. TI-GCC?

I guess I'd have to call myself a relative TI-newbie, considering that I
just got my 89 a little over a month ago and the only previous TI-calc
experience I've had is BASIC programming years ago on the 81 ;)  But
anyway...

I've just started learning 68K Assembly, and I'm thinking about sometime
starting work on my own platform game (with grayscale & parallax
scrolling ala SMA), most likely using Genlib.  But I've heard about C
compilers such as TI-GCC, and I'm already familiar with C++.  I know the
task would certainly be made a lot easier if I did it in C, but I
imagine that would create some performance slowdown as well.

So my question is this: for a task such as this, how many times faster
do you estimate it would run if programmed in pure ASM, as opposed to
C?  Also, can all the libraries be used the same way in C as they are in
ASM?  This is the very first time I've ever worked with any ASM, BTW (TI
or otherwise) ;P

BeaT (Seth Peelle)
beat@drigon.com
http://www.drigon.com/~beat