A89: Newbie questions (TI-GCC)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Newbie questions (TI-GCC)

Okay, stupid question:

    Why doesn't this work?

    void * screen = LCD_MEM;
    *pointer = 0xFF;

    When I do this, I get the error "Invalid use of void expression" at the second line.  Can't you assign a value to a dereferenced void pointer?  If not, what good is a void pointer?

Next stupid question:

    Is it possible to add two bytes to a longword pointer?  I am using a longword pointer to write longwords to the screen, and I need to add 30 bytes to it to get to the next line.  However, I can only add multiples of four bytes to it!  Help!

Tired of newbie questions yet?  I hope not, because I have more where those came from :-)  We _really_ need a website for TI-89 C programmers!  It could have a tutorial and an FAQ page so that questions like these could be answered without bugging all you patient programmers on this list.  Maybe it could be hosted at ticalc.org?  What do you guys think? (I know Thomas Nussbaumer has already suggested such a site, but I haven't heard anything about it since.)