A89: Re: AMS Version?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: AMS Version?

Everyone has different preferences. I use 2.03 because it has some nice
added features over the 1.x versions. Before that I was perfectly happy with
1.00. 2.03 also has compatibility issues with some programs and requires a
patch to run programs larger than 8k. The main reason I switched is because
on a hardware 1 calc it is possible to access the missing archive memory
using 2.03 and a patch. TI claimed this was impossible and that about half
of the archive memory was not usable for normal storage, only for flash
applications.

The earliest versions have the highest compatibility, and each newer one has
less. New versions basically start out with near zero compatibility with
existing programs, which has been very frustrating for programmers.

version 1.00:
pros: highest compatibility
cons: early release, may be slower in some areas, allows a maximum of 1
flash app (which actually replaces the existing operating system).

version 1.05:
pros: the earliest version that will run on hardware 2, basically the same
as 1.00.
cons: same as 1.00

version 2.03:
pros: added features include collapsible folders in the var-link menu, auto
archive memory recovery after a crash, ability to use multiple flash apps,
repartitioning of memory to allow more user-accessible archive memory
(hardware 2 only).
cons: 8k limit on executable program size requires a patch to overcome.
Patch also required to access extra archive memory on hardware 1 calcs
(though being able to access this memory with the patch should be considered
a pro). Lower compatibility than 1.xx.

2.04: never used it, don't know. It does have the lowest program
compatibility, though.

Before you ask, you can find your hardware version in the "About.." window
(F1 - alpha - a). If it says 2, you've got 2. If it doesn't say, you've got
1.

-Kevin