Re: A89: Me distributing roms.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Me distributing roms.

In a message dated 1/14/2000 9:46:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
croop@oregontrail.net writes:

<< So, by similar logic, if someone leaves their door unlocked, you would
 feel justified in walking into their house even if you don'e even know
 them?

 Or if I had a truck (the computer) and I wanted your lawnmower, and it
 was just sitting there on your lawn without any gate (passwords) or
 for-sale sign on it (no payment), it would be legal for me to put the
 lawnmower in my truck (download) and drive away with it?

Not the same. Your not copying the lawnmower into your truck. When you
download a file to a computer, the file is still on their server, but when
you download a lawnmower into a turck, the lawnmower is no longer in the
yard.
Besides, the laws of ownership of data and software are so weird that it
would take weeks to sort out the laws about this sort of thing

Jeff Barrett