Re: A89: rom patching

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: rom patching

That should work just fine.
I am myself doing some tests with changeing the flash.
as long as you dont change anything below $212000 or $218000 (dont now
exactly wich now, and I dont have my notes here) you should be safe.
The execution of the actual OS starts somewhere here, and the bootloader
checks some byte(s) below this points and !!! Refuses to start !!! if
they are changed. That is, it is very possible to totally wreck your
calc, beyond all repair by fiddleing with the flash. You can ofcourse
desolder the flash and reflash it outside of your calc, or hook on some
extra hardware or something to fix it, but you can't fix it with any
link software.
As I said, I know the basic principles of changeing the flash, but I
have had some problems in my experiments. some not even related to the
problem, but to my tools I use.. highly annoying.

//Olle

Robin Kirkman wrote:

> does anyone know exactly how AU patches the rom in HW1?
> i've thought up an interesting idea for writing my own OS that i'd like
> to try out.
>
> Essentially, here's how it would work:
>
> The program gets access to the flashrom
> The program flashes it with something it recieves from the linkport.
>
> does this sound feasable to anyone but me?
> --robin

Follow-Ups: References: