Re: A89: Re: Re: Re: Re: CORRECTION: Shift+ON

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Re: Re: Re: CORRECTION: Shift+ON

> TI hasn't exactly been forthcoming about what the SDK will include, what
> capabilities it will have, or anything else.  So I think a few
> misconceptions can be forgiven.  We have so little "official" info from
TI,
> and the little we have is often wrong (or so I have heard from Zeljco and
> others).  Remember that you have a LOT more info than we do.

That's why I don't like optimists.  Expect the worst and then be glad for
what you get (well, I'm not THAT pessimistic, but you get the idea).  I was
originally unimpressed by the SDK, but it certainly has grown on me and TI
has actually taken our feedback into consideration this time.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't HW2 calculators contain a hardware
block
> that prevents the PC from being out of a certain range?  From what I've
> read, it has a few flaws in its current implementation, allowing it to be
> bypassed by software, but if TI were to come out with a HW3, they might
very
> well fix those flaws and come up with an "impenetrable" calculator!

Yes, HW2 calcs contain a hardware block, while on HW1 calcs, it's merely
software.  As you said, it requires that the PC be within a certain range,
but TI didn't realize that on our beloved 68000, (PC) and (PC+256k) are
actually the same address.  Replace the former with the latter and it runs.

But it should be noted that the patch for this is accoplished with Julien's
HW2Patch program, which relies on the write-to-ROM
bugs/flaws/tricks/whatever.  And writing to ROM on HW2 calcs works, at the
moment, only because of a software flaw that could be corrected by TI at any
time.

Disclaimer: the above paragraph is valid as of yesterday.  I don't know what
effect Julien's TIB sender and PC-side patcher may have on the accuracy of
that statement =)

    -Scott