Re: A89: Re: HW1/2 Grayscale Speed (was Re: Grayscale Troubles)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Scott Noveck wrote:

> Wrath pointed out that I meant adda.l, which is faster - 6+ea.  But an
> immediate ea takes 8 cycles?!?  I'd think it wouldn't take the hardware any
> time to just gran the next word and shove it in that address. . . granted, I
> don't know my ea times, but I assumed that shouldn't be taking any clocks.

An immediate ea certainly should take extra time; after all, the immediate
data is stored in the code, and reading code from memory takes just as
long as reading data.  And if you are using adda.l, the length of the
immediate data is longer, so the time needed to fetch the ea is then 8
cycles, versus 4 fo an immediate word ea.