A89: Re: difference between hw1 and hw2

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: difference between hw1 and hw2

Hey, i got my 89 when it first came out. back in the day. thus its a hw1... for the past few months i have been away and havent even been to ticalc or any ti related site. i came back a few days ago (now a regular) and noticed something about hw2. i know enough to know that everyone is complaining about this. ive been looking for info, but to no avail. i just want to know a bit about the differences, why everyone hates hw2, if i should upgrade my calc, etc... i just dont know much about this and would like to get to know some more :)

thanks.

Regards,
Garry Hatch

First, here are the advantages of the HW2 :
_ the processor runs at 12 Mhz instead of 10.
_ when you install ams 2.03 on a HW2 calc, the archive memory reaches a size of about 700 ko (HW1 calcs having only less than 400 ko). However, a patch was recently released, allowing HW1 calcs to access this extra memory

Now here are the flaws :
_ The lcd screen works differently, the consequence is that grayscales are harder to produce. While this problem is now solved, all programs used to work in B&W only on HW2 calcs for a too long time.
_ When you install ams 2.03 on a HW2 calc, a hardware protection is activated, that prevent you to run assembly programs larger than 8 ko. Again, this problem took a long time before being solved.

Now, we can almost say there are no more problems with HW2. Wich still doesn't mean that a HW2 calc is better than a HW1 one.