A89: The future of 89/92+ Shells(AMS2.0,92+SDK)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: The future of 89/92+ Shells(AMS2.0,92+SDK)

I read about the 83+SDK Release and was pretty impressed about the first
"Real" Support on ASM from TI.
Now the 83+ community is capable of making professional programs. They can
fully take advantage of the internal TI-OS system-functions.
Which seemms to be the primary function of "Libraries" on the 89/92+ Shells.
Of course there is 4gray-emulating and the compression-library but basically
the 89/92+ SDK Kit will provide us with full TI-OS system-function support.

Due to the fact that AMS2.0 is coming in the next months, I thought about
DoorsOS and PlusShell and what plans they have for supporting the new
Flash-OS.
If both will make a new AMS2.0 compatible version of their shell, there will
be library conflict,  shell-dependent programs,... as it is normally today.
But if the community gets together and creates "ONE" shell(perhaps
opensource), which supports 89/92+,libraries and only the AMS2.0.
Why only the AMS2.0? Everybody will update his calculator because
1) free.
2) a more stable/optimized system(bugfixes)
3) more user-memory
4) the SDK requires AMS2.0
5) most FlashApps requires AMS2.0
So there will be no one left, who would still use the old v1.0,v1.01,v1.05.

As time goes by, TI will release the 89/92+ SDK and for the first time
"Real" programming for the 89/92+ is possible because we will get
information about the whole system and its internal functions.
Then we can replace most of the libraries with pointers to the TI-OS
Functions and even get more memory.
But how this shell should look like, what should it support, what features?

Klaus Lukaschek
slider_klaus@gmx.net