Re: A89: AS92 -----> AU 3.00

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: AS92 -----> AU 3.00

For instance, my teacher makes us write out the tables to find the values
used in the formula to find the standard deviation of a group of data.  You
have to write out 4 columns of data:

x    x^2  x-u  (x-u)^2

where x=the data and u=the mean of the entire data

I have made myself a nice data variable to calculate all of this when I
enter the data into the list variable l1.

l1={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,etc...}
stddev (c1)=l1
stddev (c2)=c1^2
stddev (c3)=c1-mean(l1)
stddev (c4)=c3^2

Just do {1,2,3,etc..}->l1 at the home screen and open up stddev in the
Data/Matrix editor and copy all of your data!

Other things that are very simple are sums of probabilities using the
summation notation.  You will learn later that for a Bernoulli trial:

P(X=x) = nCr(n,x)p^x(1-p)^(n-x)

where:
X is your variable
x is a number w/in the data limits
n is the total number (the data limit)
p is the probability of a success

So to find the probability of multiple probabilities (i.e.: P(X<x)) can be
found using the summation notation:

P(X<x)=E(nCr(n,i)p^i(1-p)^(n-i),i,0,x-1)
P(X<=x)=E(nCr(n,i)p^i(1-p)^(n-i),i,0,x)
P(X>x)=E(nCr(n,i)p^i(1-p)^(n-i),i,x+1,n)
P(X>=x)=E(nCr(n,i)p^i(1-p)^(n-i),i,x,n)

I use the previous formulas all stored in one:

P(X=x)=E(nCr(n,i)p^i(1-p)^(n-i),i,x,x)|x=0 and n=0 and p=0

and then change them to fit the equasion.

-Miles Raymond      EML: m_rayman@bigfoot.com
ICQ: 13217756       IRC: Killer2        AIM: KilIer2 (kilier2)
http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_rayman/