Re: A89: sine and cosine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: sine and cosine

If you want to calculate sine or cosine on a fixedpoint range
(for example, 0-1023 representing 0-90 degrees) then the quickest
method is the table.

If space is at permium, you should use the CORDIC algorithm, which
takes as many iteration as many bits you need and each iteration
consist of a shift and a few adds. That is, the CORDIC gives you
a sine/cosine pair in the time of a SW multiplication which IMHO
is *damned* quick. CORDIC is also suitable for many other
transcendental functions.

If anyone is interested, I have a PDF file which explains the whole
thing. The paper is written from an FPGA point of view, however, the
first half of the paper gives an extremely clean explanation of the
CORDIC algorithm.
I have no idea where I downloaded it from, so no URL :-( but I'm happy
to send the file to whoever is interested in it (it's about 120K).

Regards,

Zoltan