A89: Re: compilers

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: compilers

Simple Answer:
    A compiler converts a series of commands that are understandable to humans (variables, functions, ...) into a form that is understandable by machines (1's and 0's).

Real Answer:
   Take for example, a C compiler like TI-GCC.  Beginning with a C source file containing something like this command:
void _main(void)
{
 x = Function(a, b);
}
the compiler would translate it into an assembly file:
_main:                              ; please note -- this is probably a funky mix of a68k assembly
  movel d1-d7/a0-a5,-(%sp) ; and GNU AS, but TI-GCC uses GNU AS
  link    %a6,#0
  movel b,-(%sp)
  movel a,-(%sp)
  jsr      Function
  movel %d0,x
  unlnk %a6
  movel (%sp)+,d1-d7/a0-a5
  rts

and then the assemler (as.exe for ti-gcc) would translate that into an object file (*.o), which would then by translated by a linker (link.exe for ti-gcc) into the 89z (executable) file.

Mark Leverentz

p.s. As a general rule, you're better off posting to this list with text messages, instead of html.  But I can't get mad at you, since I'm just as guilty.