Re: A89: Help! fullscreen pics

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Help! fullscreen pics

1st: It is _very_ inefficent to use one whole picture for each screen.
no games do like that. what you do is that you draw a lot of small sprites, and
then you combine theese to your image.

2nd: yes, a fullscreen 4level grayscale sprite _with mask_ would take up 4k. if
the sprite has no transparent sections a mask is not needed, and the fullscreen
image need only to be 4k.

3rd: yes, you can compress it (ofcourse). there is even a library called hufflib
that compress useing the huffman compression algoritm. It is a quite simple
routine, based on the probability of different byte/word/nibbles (depending on
implementation) , and the result should be quite varying.. (I havn't gotten into
the implementation of it in hufflib though..)

//Olle