Re: A89: Re: A really interesting idea

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: A really interesting idea

> But even if the VAT copy is saved, you'd need a program to recover it -
> which would be lost without the VAT
>
> Hmm. . . if a program were created to restore a copy of the archive, and
> stored at a certain CONSTANT point in the archive, could you write an
> 'exec(' string to bsr to the location of this program, which restores the
> VAT and archived programs?

the proposed solution to that was to create an application to restore the
vat, which according to Zero, aren't erased after a memory reset.

the idea of typing in a short hex program to restore the vat was tried on
the 86 by Kirk Meyer; I'm not sure if his attempt was ever successful or why
it hasn't been released.  the only problem I know of, is that the first
program in memory will be partially overwritten by the creation of (in the
case of the 89) the hex string.  also on the 89, there may be some temporary
variables used by the OS that we don't yet know about, as there is on the
86.