From: Josh Cunningham [mailto:rogue_ant@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 4:51 PM
To: assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: A89: TI89 ROM vs HP49 ROM

I would just like to thank all those how responded.  But I feel, I don't

know, like TI is being lazy.  I understand that the Saturn is a special
number crunchier, but the 89 should have blown it out of the water!  But

no... TI decided to not put in the extra effort, not take the 68k CPU to
the
fullest, not provide us with the same quality effort that HP did.  Don't
get
me wrong, I love my 89, but I feel that some how...we've been cheated.
Cheated of what could have been.  Just think of optimized OS for the
89/92+!
  Not only the obvious speed improvements, but size improvement too.  I
am
no expert on Compiled C vs. Asm, but I can tell you that TI would have a

hell of a lot more ROM space to put in more stuff.  They could have put
in
an on calc assembler right in the ROM, like HP did, they could have put
in
more math functions, they could have increased the numeric accuracy,
they
could have increased the number of digits to only be limited by RAM,
they
could have done all kinds of things.  BUT instead they decided to take
the
easy way out, let HP beat you with just a little bit more work, and a
lot
less machine.
The TI89 could have been a lot more, but alas they cheated us.
Maybe some TI guy will read this, and be furious.  Maybe he will take it
heart, either way I hope someone does read this who can do something
about
it, or at least will try.  After all its just my opinion.

Sincerely

Josh Cunningham