Re: A89: Re: Archive memory

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Archive memory

At 10:28 1999-07-28 , you wrote:

>By the way, why can't libraries be placed in archive memory?  Libraries don't
>need to be written to do they?

Some libraries (speaking for my own ones here) use variables and/or buffers
but that can be fixed by using BSS variables instead - unless something
needs to be saved for the next time it's run...

An idea would be to have a flag in DoorsOS (or whatever) programs that
tells the system that the program/library will modify itself in some way
when it's running. If the flag is set - copy it to memory and run it from
there, then possibly copy it back (could be another flag). If the flag
isn't set - run it straight from the archive memory. IIRC it's just as fast
but you'll need less free real RAM.

  / Niklas Brunlid
Check out Prosit for the TI-89 / TI-92 Plus at http://c625.sparta.lu.se
Random PQF Quote follows:

"Seems I can't get me 'ead down these days without rescuin' people or
foilin' robbers or sunnink."
         -- It's a wonder dog's life
            (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)