Re: A89: Re: BIG mistake

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: BIG mistake

http://www.ti.com/calc/flash/89winbase.htm

> 1.  License: Subject to your payment of any applicable license fee, Texas
> Instruments Incorporated ("TI") grants you a license to copy and use the
> software program(s) and documentation from the linked web page
> ("Licensed Materials"). In addition to the copy resident on your
calculator,
> you may keep a copy on your computer for backup / archive purposes.
>
> 2. Restrictions: You may not reverse-assemble or reverse-compile the
software
> program portion of the Licensed Materials that are provided in object code
> format. You may not sell, rent or lease copies of the Licensed Materials.
>
> (..snip..)
>
> 4. Copyright: The Licensed Materials are copyrighted. Do not delete the
> copyright notice(s), trademark(s) or protective notice(s) from the copies
you make.

Well, TI doesn't come right out and say, "Don't distribute this", but it
does say that you can keep a backup copy of the ROM on your computer, in
addition to the one on your calculator.  That is consistant with TI's policy
all along.

It also says that you can not reverse-assembly or reverse-compile it.  Now I
don't know what VTI does to read the .tib file.. that doesn't violate the
license agreement, does it?

Well anyway, it is confusing and vague.  TI doesn't place the ROM in its
actual form on their website, they have a .tib file, which has the ROM in
it, in some sort of encoding scheme.  So obviously, it wasn't TI's
intentions for people to use the ROM in an emulator, Rusty just found a way
to do it...

Bryan