A89: Overwriting ROM (was Re: Linux Port)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Overwriting ROM (was Re: Linux Port)

The secret of overwriting portions of the ROM will probably never be shared
by those of us who know it - it's too powerful.  Wormhole (one of the French
guys) actually DID write a successful virus, and tested it himself - he
couldn't FLASH over his calc.  And his antivirus didn't work, so he actually
had to go into his ROM hex editor (I want one of those =) and fix it. . .
then again, I'm sure that he could have just screwed it up worse and sent in
to TI to fix it =)

Speaking of which, FYI, my calc should be down in Fort Worth now, being
repaired by TI. . . the graphlink broke and got stuck in the linkport.  I
convinced them to send me a new calc to calc cable, too =)

There's no point in porting Linux to a TI - name one feature worth having on
the calculator.  No Linux programs would be compatible with the calc becuase
NOTHING is meant to work on a small 2-color LCD screen with such a weird
input system.  The kernel doesn't have anything that would benefit a calc
with less than 400k of RAM. . .

Also, I believe that to write an entire new ROM you must write it to be
compatible with the bootloader.  A new ROM would have to be Flashed in, not
sent via a program to overwrite the ROM. . .

    -Scott