A89: GUI - LinuxTI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: GUI - LinuxTI

IF we do get Linux working...we will most likely have to cut out the command
prompt, or shell. But we could make a simplified version of our own. The most
important thing is that it works of course :-), but i think not to many
people would use it without a GUI. Niklas Brunlid has a great GUI/OS already
programmed for doorsos...
Maybe we can rewrite that for our kernel or maybe he could do that or maybe
we would be better off, taking some time to study the TI 89 built in
ROM...(after all its fairly useful and quite stable.) and try to make it
compatable with DoorsOS or perhaps compatable with TI's rom...(of course this
is if we can even get a chance to write a rom).
We also just had a recent blessing...the GCC Compiler for TI ( i forgot the
actual name of it :-). With this tool, we could do much easier programming,
which should run as fast i believe.
Johan has certainly been a big help with the RSA situation(i learned . If we
find out that our only chance of ever getting this ROM to work is to break
the key...then maybe we could ask some RSA expert crackers. I think (not
sure) www., oh shucks i forgot it. Well anyway, when RSA releases these
challenges, they seem to have the ability to crack there encryption keys
within a while, (i believe a 54 bit encryption took around a year) but we
should also know that they get awarded $1000 for doing it the fastest....and
512 bit isn't even close to 54bit :-(.
I think we would be best off trying to find an alternate route...such as the
idea of loading a program on the calculator that would disable the bootloader
or whichever peice of software it is that checks the checksum and then wait
for it to receive a new ROM. But that might not work.

This has truely grown a rapid topic and i think if every one who is on this
list helped in this project we could have an exceptional OS. Even if your not
much of a programmer (like me :-) any advice as to how you think we could get
this loaded...a theory or some researched facts would be great!

Kyle