Re: A89: Linux Port for 89/92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Linux Port for 89/92

Yes, that does seem true...the only difference would be the hardware....also
what do you think would happen with the virtual memory? would that depend on
the hardware? Now that i think about what you said...very very possible! Of
course we would have to learn much more about the ROM to be able to ditch
TI's OS. Although it is very well written (of course..they made the calc!)
there isn't any way to look at the source code that i know of. I dont think
many people would like the idea of replacing the ROM so most of the math
function should be included....maybe like in a separate package. Then under
the GUI we could have the math program run standard TI math. This sure is
starting to unfold itself! One large concern (kind of a hassle) is what are
we going to do with all these keys!! Custom could do something....but what
about catalog...they are all set up for math so we'd have to get a work
around. I dont want to sound far fetched...but it seems possible, if we write
a whole new OS independant from TI's, that an input device should help with
the keys. Ok, lets just call it a key board :). That shouldn't be hard to do.
Although im not much of an Electrical Engineer....I dont think it would be
that hard. Or maybe we could just find a way to use the TI keyboard in
another fashion.....put a cover over it and use the keys differently?

Well this is surely a big idea to work on, and personally I think it would be
very cool to see it done. The keyboard setup isn't that bad though...the
arrow keys would work fine if there isn't another way to have input.

Kyle