Re: A89: Re: TCML Proposal

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: TCML Proposal

>    Who is actually going to listen to this standard?

I don't know.  Hopefully people who are working on internet stuff (if
anyone like that besides me is out there)

>Are you making the web browser?

I rather wouldn't, but if I get TCP working on the 89 I hope someone else will

>Also, how are you supposed to have bold text? Hmm, redesign the
>font? Because I wasnt aware the TI-89 allowed this.

Some TIOS stuff uses bold text so we may be able to do so.  Otherwise you
could just use sprites.  I sent this out to a few people before posting it
and some of them questioned the bold text.  If people think it would be
useless or too hard to implement it could be removed.

>With a screen so small
>you cant even fit a whole sentence on.. If it was the TI-92, then yes.. it
>would make more sense (although still would basically be a waste of time).
>But the TI-89 has a smaller screen size and thus it isnt really worth the
>trouble of trying to start a new standard on a mailing list designed for
>assembly for a calculator that cant even display more then 20 characters
>width. Hell, some domain names are almost that long. 20 Characters! Heck,
>one sentence would wrap into four lines!

I agree this is a problem.  Most pages would probably use the small font.

>Until TI manufactures hardware to
>allow TI communication over phone lines (hmm.. there's an idea)

You can plug the graphlink directly into a modem with a gender change
adapter.  I've used this system with a vt100 emulator for the 83.

>    Please guys, you guys are talking about AOL and all this stuff. If your
>so excited, grab some electronics books and start building a serial modem..
>talk is cheap. All the good "hackers" like Dan Eble, or Olle's friend.. I
>mean, they dont really care what the mailing lists say, or at least I doubt
>it. They are doing this for there own curiousity. Stop dreaming, ugh, it
>just wastes the mailing lists time. Like I told someone allready, it is ok
>to dream - that is what hardware@lists.ticalc.org and basic@lists.ticalc.org
>is for. Most people are here to program. That is why they shutup - they are
>too busy programming to dream - they are making the dreams a reality.
>
>    Ugh, why did I write this?

I don't know why you wrote this.  I wrote this because if we're going to
put the 89 on the net, we're going to need some standards to start with.  I
wouldn't need the opinion of the list if I was going to build a modem, but
if I want to propose a standard I should probably see what other people say
about it.

	--Nate