A89: TCML

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: TCML

Well here's my last idea for TCML.  It is designed so the slow 89 can
process it quickly and easily -- not for lots of fancy features.

Text size:  There is no reason for more then three sizes -- regular, small
and a new large size
Justification:  Left, right and center

Each property would hold for an entire line.  Unlike HTML, you can not
switch styles mid-line.  These properties would be represented by a simple
multicharacter tag at the begining of each line.

3C Nate's TCML Page!
2L Here's where I keep all of my TCML stuff online.  Bla, bla, bla

This would center "Nate's TCML Page!" in large letters on the top, with
everything else left-justified in normal font below it.  Text wrapping will
be used.  But how will this support links?

If I wanted to link the text "TCML" to another site inside my line "Here's
where I keep all of my TCML stuff online" I would write the TCML code like
this:

2L Here's where I keep all of my
IL TCML
IL http://bla.com/bla/bla
2L stuff on line

The browser will use the first line with IL as the hypertext, the next as
the hyperlink, and then continue the line with the third.  Everything would
be on the same line.  If styles like underline are desired, this system can
be used to add that within the "one style per line" constraint.

After you were done with the final document you would run it through a
simple parser.  It would change the two character tags to single characters
that the browser could quickly interpret.  A sample table of two character
tags -> one character tags

1L --> 0x00
2L --> 0x01
3L --> 0x02
1C --> 0x03
and so on

The parser would be user to simplify page composition since it is hard to
remember that 0x03 means small text, centered.  Also, low hex characters
are mostly invisible.  Why translate it to single low characters anyway?
Because a browser could then use an array of function addresses to display
the text.  Following the example above, the address for the small,
left-justify function would be at element 0.  Medium left at element 1.
With this system parsing a line would take less then five instructions.

If people like this system I could make a proper definition paper and a
parser.  Please give me some feedback.

	--Nate