Re: A89: Flash ROM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Flash ROM

I can't tell you for certain what the 68k of hidden memory is for on the
89, but on the 92+, is is mainly used as extra system memory. All you 92
users, you know how that in order to run the geometry software, you must
have 20k free memory? Well, on the 92+, it doesn't need that any more, I
ran the Geo software with only 154 spaces (not K only 154, not 154000)
and it worked just fine, except a little slow.

My guess for the 89 has to be for software certificates (ie: Feature
upgrades Like  EE*Pro etc, and maybe for the Geo software if TI decides
to port it over some time in the future) Same for the 92+ (certificates
that is) Oh yeah, the 68k is not physically used to store the feature
upgrades, the feature upgrades will be stored directly to the Flash ROM
chip where the ROM code currently resides. The ROM code doesn't take up
the whole chip, I think the ROM code is something like 2megs, and the
chip is upwards of 4megs. I could be wrong with the numbers, but I know
that the ROM doesn't fill the entire chip.

         Michael J Mallon
"The Clueless Dream Reality"

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]