Now I told you guys not to bad mouth aol to an aol user. I told you
they would defend it to the death.
you guys didn't listen. listen to the following rules about handling aol users and you'll be alright.
1. Never Tell An AOL User That AOL Sucks.
Reason: An AOL user has already been brainwashed by aol and as a member they must argue with wise ISP users.
2. If you get dragged into a confrontation with an AOL user never
bring up download or connection speed.
Reason: While AOL is the slowest thing thing on the planet (isp wise) an AOL user sees that same sluggyness as lightening fast.
Understand that an AOL user has never experienced true speed and to them that turtle looks like a cheeta.
3. Dont bring up access and availability about AOL to an AOL user.
Reason: To an AOL user "America Online" means "Entire Planet Online." An AOL user has trouble understanding that America is only 1
country on a very large planet. Because very rich and very un-intelligent forign AOL users use American 1-800 relay towers then
in the eyes of an AOL user that must mean that everyone can afford 5 dollars an hour to go online.
4. Dont try to explain anything to an AOL user...EVER.
Reason: An AOL user thinks they know everything.
5. Dont ever enguage in any multiplayer game of any kind with
an AOL user.
Reason: A game that takes 20 minutes normaly will take 60 with an AOL user due to extreme overloads of users and high lag.
6. Dont get into a superiorty debate about how many users AOL
Reason: Aol is 3rd on the list of big (I am going to very inaccurately call this an ISP) ISP's but an AOL users doesn't understand that
each user has 5 seperate names making for a lot of messy contacts.
Now For A Couple Of Facts:
1. Aol's software (4.0) takes up over 10 meg of ram just during low
2. Aol's Authentication system makes it so that AOL must be open at all times while online.
3. ISP's use dial up networking which uses < 50k or ram during any operation.
4. ISP's Authentication system checks once then minimizes it's self for maximum connectivity.
5. Aol is rated the best internet service out there by all AOL users. (Even though aol isn't an ISP read next:)
6 Aol is not an internet service. It is an Online service. America Online was designed to suit newbies and people absessed with chatting to
other people in America.
7. Aol's Online service's throughput is aproximately half that of the same modem connection to a medium quality ISP user due to server side
security checking, Cussing, Spamming, Hacking, ETC.
8. Aol charges aprox. $20 a month for service whereas 50% of small, local ISP's charge less than 15 dollars per month.
9. A cable modem is the very best bet for an average cost bastard at rates of $40 per month (same as 2nd phone line and aol cost)
10. A cable modem has a 1.5MEG / s throughput which is several hundred time faster than a standard dialup account
I understand many AOL users will
read this and it is not meant for you to take offense but rather to inform
we who dont
use AOL how to avoid confilct. Please do not take it personally.