Re: A89: 5 level grayscale

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: 5 level grayscale

>I was wondering how hard it would be to make a 5 level grayscale program. Also
>how much would this flash back and forth, hopefully not as much as in the 7
>level grayscale.
>-Manji

I suppose you want an acutal answer instead of having your idea called
dumb.  I do agree that 7 level does start to visually flicker but
implementing 5-level on it's own would be diffiuclt.  However, since
5-level would work much like 7-level in the currect implementation, how
about just not using some shades of grey.

7-level		5-level
000		000
001		---
010		010
011		???
100		???
101		101
110		---
111		111

This way you have five levels and omit the most flickery one (I forget
wether the first bit is the plane thats on half the time or 1/8 of the time
-- hense the ???).  The problem is that you don't have a nice even
transition between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th level.  A better, but more
processor + memory demanding solution would be to implement 4 video planes.

5-level		Nate's 5-level
000		0000
010		0001
011		0011
101		0111
111		1111

A really good algorithm would randomize the placement of the zeros in the
intermediary shades -- eliminating uniform flicker.  Each plane would be
viewed for an equal amount of time and the result would be five level grey.
In my opinion a good programer could write much better looking programs
with this, and if someone's already written a 15-level library the coding
would be easy.  Unfortunatly I don't think that the 89 is really capable of
such a memory and processor drain, so maybe it's just a pipe dream.

	--Nate

PS:  TCP/IP 89 is now able to communicate to my computer but is _very_
buggy.  Unfortunatly it's midterm time so I won't be working on it for
about a week or two.  Expect a final stable version around the end of the
school year, but I wouldn't bet on it.  TCP/IP is quite hard to implement
in asm.