A89: Re: Hardware differences:

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Hardware differences:

> Ok, I'll sum up everything I've heard, and then speculate, and I'd like
> those who know better to correct me where I make mistakes...
>
> To my knowledge the major differences in the hardware between Version 1
> and 2 of the TI-89 are:
> -Faster speed (12 MHz vs 10 MHz)

Well has anyone actually tried with a scope ?

Afair TI wrote in some statement that they introduced the
new logic, which is buffering the display ram, to speed up
the TI.

So this 20% Speedup is no result of a higher clock, but
because of no DMA taking place.

Well, in my opinion it should be possible to rewrite the
gray4lib to copy the screen buffer. This may result in a
slow down, but maybe it is possible to reduce it with
clever optimizing.

Games with good (timer based) logic wont suffer
too much from this slowdown. But i guess most games
have hardcoded delay loops as they are generally not
programmed very well..